- Human rights violations are common in the factories.
- Hazardous substances are used both in products and their manufacture.
- Products can often have a shorter life span because of poor ergonomics, low quality and when they are not able to be repaired or upgraded.
All verification of criteria is handled by renown, independent verification partners, in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025. Each test and verification body is reviewed regularly, both by TCO Development and independent accreditation organizations.
Subscribe to our newsletters to stay up to date with our criteria development process.
All criteria in TCO Certified must be met before the certificate is issued. Products, factories and brand owners are also subject to tests and audits afterwards — the criteria must be met during the certificate’s full validity period.
The independent verification of compliance that is included in TCO Certified is a crucial aspect in driving positive development. All identified cases of non-compliance must be corrected, which is followed up continuously. If necessary corrections are not made within a reasonable time and with satisfying results, the certificate can be withdrawn.
Read more about our impact in our latest progress report: Impacts and Insights.
Make your sustainability focus clear for vendors by including it in the contract name, eg: “Procurement of more sustainable notebooks”. In case your preferred models are not yet certified, give your vendor a qualification period (e.g. 6 months) to apply for TCO Certified.
To get started, follow our step-by-step guide.
- Product attributes (such as ergonomics, usability, energy, safety)
- Socially responsible manufacturing
The audit report and the corrective action plan are then verified by our independent verification partners.
- Code of conduct
- Proof of supply chain communications about code of conduct
- List of all final assembly factories manufacturing TCO Certified products
- An independent audit report from a final assembly factory manufacturing certified models
- Corrective action plan for all nonconformities
Our Style Guide includes guidance on how to speak and write about TCO Certified and how and when you can use the TCO Certified logotype. You are always welcome to contact us for more details.