Humanity is facing widespread environmental and social challenges that can only be handled if countries and organizations all over the world mobilize their efforts and work together. The UN Sustainable Development Goals are designed to gather organizations from all parts of the world around shared priorities and ambitions, to be achieved by the year 2030: end all forms of poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change, while ensuring that no one is left behind. The Sustainable Development Goals also make it clear what role businesses can — and must — play in meeting these goals.
The 17 global goals were adopted by world leaders in September 2015 and are also called Agenda 2030.
Use TCO Certified in sustainability reporting
The ambition of the Sustainable Development Goals is to address a number of social, economic and environmental challenges. TCO Certified includes criteria that are designed to contribute to meeting several of the goals, especially around responsible production and consumption as well as worker rights. Using TCO Certified in procurement makes your organization part of the solution.
Purchaser demand for certified products drives the IT industry to speed up its sustainability efforts, and contribute to a world that is socially and environmentally sustainable. TCO Certified offers purchasers measurable sustainability indicators, directly related to the certified product. These indicators can be used in sustainability reporting and to track progress toward key targets.
Criteria help you contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Ending child labor, forced labor and protecting labor rights, equal opportunity and gender equality. (Goal 5 and 8)
- Responsible minerals sourcing, ILO’s eight core conventions, UN’s Convention on the rights of the child (article 32).
- National laws for minimum wage and social security, worker rights, health and safety.
Good health and well-being by reducing pollution and minimizing the release of hazardous chemicals and materials (Goal 3 and 6)
- Worker safety management system for hazardous process chemicals.
- Reduction of hazardous substances in products.
Sustainable infrastructure, affordable and renewable energy and improvement in energy efficiency (Goal 7 and 9)
- Energy efficiency of both products and factories.
- Improvement of environmental performance of products and in factories.
Responsible Consumption by an efficient use of natural resources and reducing waste generation (Goal 12)
- Extending the usable life of the products.
- Products prepared for upgrading, repairing, reuse, remanufacturing and recycling.
Focus areas in TCO Certified, generation 8
• Helping you make a difference in the IT product supply chain
• Helping you contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals