About TCO Certified
- Human rights violations occur in the factories.
- Hazardous substances are used both in products and their manufacture.
- Products can often have a shorter life span because of poor ergonomics, low quality and when they are not able to be repaired or upgraded.
All verification of criteria is handled by renown, independent verifiers, in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025. Each test and verification body is reviewed regularly, both by TCO Development and independent accreditation organizations, according to ISO/IEC 17025.
Criteria in TCO Certified
Subscribe to our newsletters to stay up to date with our criteria development process.
Use in in purchasing
Make your sustainability focus clear for vendors by including it in the contract name, eg: “Procurement of more sustainable notebooks”. In case your preferred models are not yet certified, give your vendor a qualification period (e.g. 6 months) to apply for TCO Certified.
Verification of compliance
All criteria in TCO Certified must be met before the certificate is issued. Products, factories and brand owners are also subject to tests and audits afterwards — the criteria must be met during the certificate’s full validity period.
The independent verification of compliance that is included in TCO Certified is a crucial aspect in driving positive development. All identified cases of non-compliance must be corrected, which is followed up continuously. If necessary corrections are not made within a reasonable time and with satisfying results, the certificate can be withdrawn.
Read more about our impact in our latest progress report: Impacts and Insights.
Certify your products
- Product attributes (such as ergonomics, usability, energy, safety)
- Socially responsible manufacturing
The audit report and the corrective action plan are then verified by our independent verification organizations.
- Code of conduct
- Proof of supply chain communications about code of conduct
- List of all final assembly factories manufacturing certified products
- An independent audit report from a final assembly factory manufacturing certified models
- Corrective action plan for all non-conformities
A certificate has a limited validity period: it is valid for two years from the date of issue, with the option to extend for one year at a time. Find a complete listing of all products that are currently certified at our Product Finder.
Products may no longer be promoted as certified according to TCO Certified once the certificate expires or the generation of criteria is discontinued.
Current generation of TCO Certified
All product categories can be certified to TCO Certified, generation 8, from December 2018 to December 2021.
Valid legacy generations of TCO Certified
Existing certificates remain valid for their regular term and will be discontinued no later than December 2020.
- TCO Certified Displays 7
- TCO Certified Notebooks 5
- TCO Certified Tablets 3
- TCO Certified Smartphones 2
- TCO Certified Desktops 5
- TCO Certified All-in-one PCs 3
- TCO Certified Projectors 2
- TCO Certified Headsets 3
Available for certification until further notice:
- TCO Certified Edge Displays 2
- TCO Certified Edge Notebooks 1
- TCO Certified Edge All-in-One PCs 1
- TCO Certified Edge Headsets 1
The manufacturer can handle the application process but the brand owner must also be involved. For example, it is the brand owner’s responsibility to submit the necessary documentation related to socially responsible manufacturing criteria on an annual basis. Both the brand owner and the manufacturer needs to sign an agreement with TCO Development.